Hardcover with dust jacket
22.5 x 29.5 cm
471 colored pictures
- Skyline at First Hill in Seattle, USA (Perkins+Will)
- Elbschloss Residence in Hamburg, Germany (feddersenarchitekten)
- Apartments for Life in Sydney, Australia (PTW Architects)
- Aging in Africa in Lagoon Aby, Ivory Cost (HWKN)
- Sun City Park Machida in Tokyo, Japan (BAR Architects)
Citizens in retirement age are becoming an ever greater but also more active part of society.
Architects and designers have discovered that this requires a new way of thinking and detected nursing homes and senior citizens' residences as a new area of professional interest. They apply creative concepts and intricate designs to increase the comfort and quality of life for the elderly.
The projects presented in this volume are outstanding examples of architectural and interior design solutions that meet the complex and special needs of senior citizens. It presents newly constructed and converted buildings that contradict the common perception of "old folks' homes". They show that it is possible to reconcile nursing and medical requirements with an attractive design, skillfully combining functionality and aesthetics.