Hardcover with dust jacket
22.5 x 29.5 cm
590 colored pictures
- Metropol Parasol in Seville, Spain (J. Mayer H. Architects)
- Ewha Womans University in Seoul, Korea (Dominque Perrault Architecture)
- Quincy Court in Chicago, USA (Rios Clementi Hale Studios)
- Riva Split Waterfront, Croatia (3LHD)
- Kic Park in Shanghai, China (3Gatti)
Squares and plazas, promenades and streetscapes are the most characteristic expressions of public urban spaces. Even though they vary widely in style, form, and size, they always are among the most prestigious locations in a city. As spaces to communicate, pass, stroll or tarry they have an inimitable atmosphere, accommodating street life in all its vibrant variations such as the staging of events, celebrations, and gatherings.
Contemporary projects from all parts of the world show the array of amazing solutions for this fascinating planning task at the interface of architecture, landscape planning, and urban development. Whether Jessie Square in San Francisco, the Riva Front in Split, Croatia, or the Minato-Mirai Business Square Kanagawa in Japan, all successfully unite the traditions of their cities with the contemporary demands of urban life. All projects give the variegated public life on the street unique opportunities to develop, creating identity-rich public spaces.