- Times Square in New York City, NY, USA (Snøhetta)
- Binh Housein Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (Vo Trong Nghia Architects)
- Thermal Orchards in Caldes de Montbui, Spain (Gardeners Association of the Orchards)
- Aalborg Waterfront in Aalborg, Denmark (C. F. Møller Landscape )
- Jubilee Gardens in London, UK (West 8 urban design & landscape architecture)
This groundbreaking work provides an overview of the whole creative realm of contemporary landscape architecture and open space design. Every aspect of the creation and production of these public and private spaces is thematized and elucidated. These spaces encompass an enormous variety, ranging from classic garden design and golf courses to greened façades, from guerilla gardening and pedestrian zones to large-scale ecological interventions.
Comprehensive introductions to each of the 30 chapters chart the various tasks and challenges. Illustrated case studies from around the world offer concept, ideas and suggestions to inspire the design process. Whether conservative in style and requiring little explanation, or striking, even ostentatious, these projects are always inventive, unique and compelling – and always seeking to redefine the relationship between human beings, the built environment and the natural world.