Hardcover with dust jacket
21 x 28.5 cm
406 colored pictures
- Martinsried University, Germany (Auer + Weber)
- Helsinkis Seafarers' Center, Finland (Ark-House Architects)
- Mei Li Zhou Church in Hangzhou, China (Tsushima Design Studio)
- Culinary Art School in Tijuana, Mexico (Gracia Studio)
- Sleepbox in Moscow, Russia (Arch Group)
No other material is as deeply embedded in the history, culture and the lives of human beings worldwide as wood. A global increase in environmental consciousness adds to its significance as a renewable, thus sustainable resource. Wood offers unique qualities of lightness and elegance, plays of light and shadow and countless color tones. It may be used to assemble imposing, bulky structures, as well as to erect delicate, undulating forms that seem filigree and transparent.
The many possibilities for use of this natural building material as well as the innovative construction techniques which have extended these possibilities are shown with texts and facts, photos and drawings. The architectural species diversity ranges from energy-efficient passive houses to multi-story academic facilities and fashionable bars that prove that nothing matches wood in versatility and beauty.