German, English, French
Hardcover with dust jacket
23.5 x 23.5 cm
469 colored pictures
- Martin Luther Kirche in Hainburg, Austria (Coop Himmelb(l)au)
- Jüdisches Gemeindezentrum in Munich, Germany (Wandel Höfer Lorch)
- New Cathedral of the Northern Lights in Alta, Norway (Schmidt Hammer Lassen)
- Temple Sinai in Oakland, USA (MH2)
- Islamischer Begräbnispavillon in Amsterdam, Netherlands (Atelier PUUR)
Sacral buildings are the most distinguished architectural accomplishments throughout the history of humanity. The search for worthy shapes and structures to serve religious beliefs and rites led to many architectural milestones as well as pioneering technical and design developments. To this day, sacral buildings constitute the most prestigious, and at the same time most expressive, tasks for architects and designers.
Masterpieces: Sacred Architecture + Design places churches, synagogues and mosques in a common context. The concept of presenting buildings of the three large monotheistic religions together identifies striking parallels and noticeable differences in contemporary sacral building architecture. Whether a tradition-based approach or an experimental play with shapes, whether the display of the greatest splendor or extreme minimalism - each presented project represents a very individual way of experiencing religion and spirituality.