The Program

Back to overview

Philipp Meuser (Ed.)

Die Usbekische Botschaft in Berlin

Diplomatische Vertretung und kulturelle Institution
Print
2003
German

21.5 x 28 cm
64 pages
69 pictures
ISBN 978-3-935455-29-9

€ 19,90  Out of print
Add to cart

Content

 

The diplomatic representation of the Republic of Uzbekistan is located at the heart of Berlin’s Tiergarten district. It is only a few minutes away from the Reichstag and Kanzleramt (chancellory), and the reputable international diplomacy addresses. Yet before the gates of the embassy also lays the bustling, traffic-congested life of the working-class neighborhood of Berlin Moabit. Uzbekistan has thus chosen a multifaceted location closer to the real life of Berlin than any other country. The embassy building in the Perleberger Straße is under historical preservation protection and has had an eventful history. Between 1879 and 1881, it was originally built as the "Officiers-Speiseanstalt des 1. Garde-Feld-Artillerie-Regiments” (roughly translated as the feeding quarters of the officers of the 1st guard field artillery regiment) In the years after World War II, it achieved brief local fame as ”Ballhaus Tiergarten" (Ballroom Tiergarten), followed by a period of changing owners and incremental degeneration. The Uzbek government had a very clear idea of what their future diplomatic representation should look like. They not only wanted it to serve the core functions of an embassy, but also wanted to create an Uzbek-German cultural center in the heart of Berlin. The Ballhaus with its numerous halls, arcades and terraces was ideally suited for these functions. Following extensive renovations, a cultural center was created, which contributes significantly to deepening the German-Uzbek friendship.


Further titles


Back to overview