Hardcover with dust jacket
25 x 29 cm
€ 49.90 | £ 39.95 | $ 62.50
Chris van Uffelen
From the contents:
- Contemporary Jewish Museum in San Francisco, CA, USA (Studio Daniel Libeskind)
- Musée National des Beaux-Arts du Québec, Canada (OMA)
- Langen Foundation in Hombroich, Germany (Tadao Ano)
- Ciudad de las Artes y de las Ciencias in Valencia, Spain (Santiago Calatrava)
- Louvre Abu Dhabi in UAE (Ateliers Jean Nouvel)
The Guggenheim Museum designed by Frank O. Gehry was the magnificent catalyst of a building boom at the end of the last millennium. Since that time, the architecture itself, whether new buildings, renovations or reconstructions, significantly contributes to the attractiveness of a museum and its surroundings. This title presents more than 170 museums, constituting a cross-section of the possibly most interesting and diverse building assignments of our time – whether elegant, daring, or experimental, depending on the institution and the area of specialization.
In addition, the volume also presents the history of the collections, explains the origins of the collection base and highlights key exhibits. The background of each museum is presented along with educational or conservation goals. The book present the most diverse museum types – from company and corporate museums, via technology and natural science museums, up to literature and history museums, and, of course, a multitude of art museums.